Saturday, March 13, 2010

Car Trouble


My car stalled on the way home from work today. I was on a relatively busy street in the middle of three left turn lanes, with my hazard lights on. There was plenty of room to go around me. Yes, I was blocking traffic but there were alternatives. What I discovered while I was sitting there waiting for the tow truck to come was that about one-third of the other drivers figured out right away what was happening and went into one of the two other turn lanes. Another one-third of the other drivers would approach from the rear, sit behind me and honk when I didn't move. They just couldn't seem to understand that my hazard lights meant that I was not, in fact, going to move. And the final third of the other drivers would try to go around me but would VERY nearly run into the other drivers who were in the other two lanes. I saw several near misses. I was more afraid for my fellow drivers than I was for myself. So I had people honking at me and people honking at each other because they just couldn't seem to get it. Amazingly enough, because my windows are somewhat tinted, it didn't bother me at all. I could sit in my little, disabled car and let them all do whatever they were going to do without it really affecting me at all. In fact, I made up a little song to amuse myself while I waited. "Just waiting for the tow truck driver, waiting, waiting. In my little car. Just waiting for the two truck driver, waiting, waiting. La la la." Okay, not winning any Grammys anytime soon. But it does help to keep yourself occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment