Thursday, January 3, 2013

If You Want My Advice #3

Be willing to learn something new. 
When my mother-in-law died, I was given the opportunity to inherit her sewing machine.  I had never been a seamstress, but when my sister-in-law offered to teach me to sew, I took her up on it.  I like to think that I'm always willing to learn something new, and I enjoy spending time with my sister-in-law.  She taught me to make some table linens.  And I wondered, "After I get these done, what will I sew?"  I mean, you have to sew things in order to get better at sewing things, right?  One day at a quilt shop, I saw some instruction kits for appliqued panels.  Each one was about 10 x 14 and depicted a scene related to a different month of the year.  I thought that would be perfect.  I could have something to make each month and theoretically get better as I completed each month's project.  So I bought six, for July through December.  Sometime in the last week of each month I would make the panel for the next month.  And I did get better at it each month.  I found that I looked forward to doing each new one.  At the end of December, I realized that I could either go back to the quilt shop and get more of these panels OR I could try to come with some on my own. 
For January I decided on a snowman.  I know, it doesn't snow where I live, but when I think January, I think snow.  I found a simple snowman coloring page and printed it out.  I then traced each piece on paper and transferred the pieces to material.  I use an interfacing that is double sided. I ironed the interfacing the pieces of material and then ironed all of the pieces onto my background.  I wanted the snowman to have a cute embellishment so I found a youtube video with instructions for making a flower out of a scrap of material.  After appliqueing the whole thing, I used buttons for the eyes and nose.
I have to say that as I was making this particular panel, I became more and more proud of myself.  I turned out much cuter than I expected.  And it is entirely my own creation!!  I'm already planning out my panel for next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment