Sunday, January 13, 2013

If You Want My Advice #7

Purpose to keep up with people.
We all get busy.  There is so much daily-ness to life.  We all have people whom we want to keep up with but time gets away from us.  Before we know it so much time as gone by that we've lost touch with important people.  Find the special people in your life and purpose to keep up with them.  Make dates.  Don't let time get away from you. 
I once worked for an incredibly kind and generous woman.  While I was working for her, we became good friends.  When she closed her shop, we decided that we didn't want to be those "Yes, we need to get together but then we never do." people.  So we agreed to get together every Monday for dinner.  Even after she moved an hour away, we still get together for dinner every Monday.  Sometimes I drive to her, more often she drives to me.  We've missed some weeks for various reasons.  But those weekly meetings are balm for our friendship.  We don't talk on the phone much, almost never email.  But we have our dinners.  We laugh, we cry, we share everything.  Nothing is off limits.  We make sure that we go someplace that isn't too expensive and where we can sit for a couple of hours without feeling like we're taking a table away from someone else.  We've changed locations severals times.  But the connection is important to both of us and we know that this is the best way for us to do it. 
My husband and I are friends with a wise and caring couple.  It's the kind of relationship where we're all friends - the wife and I are friends and our husbands are friends.  It isn't like we wives are friends and the husbands just follow behind us.  We all are friends.  Their lives are very busy with four active children, so getting together is often a challenge.  We love their children but we also like being adults together.  Actually they like being adults with us.  I mean, after all, they have four children.  So we have purposed to get together on a regular basis.  For awhile we met at our favorite restaurant every other Saturday.  But then we decided that we didn't want the expense and Tom became a fabulous cook.  Now they come to our home every other Saturday for dinner.  It keeps our friendship moving forward.  We get to share what's been going on, without interruption. 
I have been fortunate enough to marry into a wonderful family.  Not only did I get to marry my best friend, but I also get to have three "sisters."  We all lives in different cities.  At some point we all realized that we each may talk to one of the others, but we wouldn't all necessarily hear all of the news from everyone else.  So we now each email the other three every Sunday or Monday.  We only have to type out the events of the previous week once and then hit "Send."  It keeps us all connected.  These women are special and important to me.  I don't want to lose that connection. 
There are other things you can do.  These are just some of the things that I do.  I know that too much time will go by and I'll wish I had kept up.  Stop wishing and just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment