Saturday, January 5, 2013

If You Want My Advice #4

Be adaptable.
I work twenty hours a week at a library.  I work four days a week and my schedule is different every day.  On Tuesdays I work from 3 pm till 8 pm.  On Wednesday I work 9 am till 2 pm.  I haven't always like closing on Tuesdays and opening on Wednesday.  But if fit the needs of our branch.  Today I was asked to permanently switch shifts with another half-time employee so that I would work from 9 am till 2 pm both Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  At first I wasn't sure I wanted to.  I like having a nice long morning on Tuesdays.  I can sleep in and take my dog for a long walk, work in the yard and take my time with getting ready for work.  But I decided to be adaptable and agree to the change.  When I got home and told my husband about the change, he was pretty happy.  Up until now, we don't have dinner or our evening together on Tuesdays.  He pointed out right away that we'd now have every evening of the week together.  I realized that in the six years that I've worked for the library, I've had to work at least one evening a week.  This is going to be a pleasant change for us.  I'm glad I decided to be adaptable to the needs of my fellow employee.  This will make her life a little easier and my husband is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment